River Otters: Thriving in the Bay Area. Let's keep it that way.
Photo by Anthony C. Brewer
River otters are charismatic carnivores, and make wonderful ambassadors for river and wetland restoration and conservation efforts. Yet, little was known about their population, range and seasonal eating habits in the Bay Area. The River Otter Ecology Project has taken on the challenge of discovering and documenting their ecological niche, with the goal of informing land use decisions and preserving habitat for these lively aquatic mammals.
River Otter Ecology Presentations and Events 2017
- Thursday, October 26 ~ One Tam Wildlife Symposium. Marin Art & Garden Center, Ross. 10AM - 3:30PM. Megan Isadore will present a "Lightning Talk," an update on river otters in the One Tam area. Tickets available online.
- Saturday, October 14 ~ Wildlife Conservation Network Conference, Mission Bay, SF. 10AM - 6PM. Tickets available online.
- Tues-Wed, October 10-11, State of the San Francisco Estuary Conference. River Otter Ecology Project will present a poster on our Citizen Science Otter Spotter program. Scottish Rite Center, Oakland. Information and tickets online.
- Sunday, September 24 ~ Talons, a Festival Celebrating Birds of Prey. Marin Art & Garden Center, Ross. Noon to 4PM. Tickets available online.
- Saturday, September 23 ~ Celebrate the Coast! Heart's Desire Beach, Inverness. 10-4. Family-friendly, FREE.
- Saturday, September 9 ~ Wine Country Nature and Optics Festival. 10 - 4PM, La Casa Grande Plaza 201 E. Spain St, Sonoma. Free.
- Saturday, August 5 ~ Martinez Beaver Festival. 11-4PM , Martinez. Free, wonderful day for children and adults!
- Wednesday, July 19 ~ Peyton Slough Wetlands Advisory Committee Presentation on MVSD Otter Project. Martinez. 10AM to Noon
- Friday, July 14 ~ Safari West Conservation Speaker, Santa Rosa. Evening dinner presentation.
- Monday, June 5 ~ SF Zoo Conservation Lecture. 1 - 2:30 PM. San Francisco Zoo
- Sunday, May 7 ~ A Watershed Moment Benefit/Celebration. Berkeley, 1:30 - 4:30. Tickets are selling fast and will sell out!
- Saturday, May 6 ~ San Francisco Zoo Conservation Lecture. 1PM - 2:15PM, Great Hall, SF Zoo. Free public event. Robert Aston presenting
- Saturday, April 29 ~ Wildlife Conservation Network Conference, Marin. 10 - 6PM, Dominican University, San Rafael. Tickets on sale now!
- Saturday, April 29 ~ Environmental Action Committee of West Marin, Birding and Nature Fest. 8AM to 11AM, Otter Safari
- Saturday, April 22 ~ March for Science San Francisco
- Friday, April 21 ~ Earth Day at Rossmoor, Walnut Creek. 10AM - 2PM
- Saturday, April 15 ~ Earth Day at the Oakland Zoo, Oakland. 10AM - 3PM. Meet us by the OTTER enclosure!
- Wednesday, April 12 ~ Wildlife and Habitat Connectivity. 7 - 9PM, First Presbyterian Church of San Rafael, 1510 Fifth Avenue, San Rafael. Sponsored by the Environmental Forum of Marin. Tickets via link.
- Sunday, April 9 ~ Otter Cutout Painting Party. Details to be announced!
- Saturday, April 1 ~ Welcome Back Otters! 2PM - 3:30PM ~ Community Meeting Room, Berkeley Public Library. 2090 Kittredge Street, Berkeley. 2 blocks from downtown Berkeley BART! Free.
- Monday, February 13 ~ Point Molate Community Advisory Committee, 6PM - 7:30PM (open to public). Robert Aston will offer a 15 minute presentation on river otter sightings in the East Bay and climate change issues. 440 Civic Center Plaza Multi Purpose Room, Richmond.
- Friday, February 10, 7-8:30PM ~ Get Ready for Otters! Benefit for the Dance Palace, Point Reyes Station. Buy tickets online or at the door. $20 adults, $5 children. Family friendly otter talk and dessert.....what could be better?
- Tuesday, January 10 ~ Bay Nature, Friends of Five Creeks and the Ca Center for Natural History host us in Albany, 7-9PM. Refreshments at 7, talk at 7:30. The event is free, but it will fill up.
- February 13, 2016: Laguna de Santa Rosa Otter Open House, 10AM to 4:30PM - Laguna de Santa Rosa, Santa Rosa
on river otters, how we study them and what we've found.
- March 7, 2016: Lindsay Wildlife Museum, Presentation to docents.
- April 15, 2016: Rossmoor Earth Day, Walnut Creek, Noon to 5PM. We hope their visiting otter will be there too!
- April 29 - April 30: Graduate Seminar, Oregon State University, Corvallis. We will be co-teaching this two-day workshop focusing on otters and their role in wetland ecosystems. Contact megan at riverotterecology.org for more information.
- June 5, 2016: Field Training, Day 1 of 2. Mandatory for all new field volunteers. Sign up here.
- June 12, 2016: Field Training, Day 2 of 2. Mandatory for all field volunteers.
- June 18, 2016: Audubon Canyon Ranch, 11 - 12:30AM, Martin Griffin Preserve
- July 15, 2016: Safari West Conservation Series lecture, requires stay at Safari West
- August 6: Martinez Beaver Festival 10AM - 4PM, Martinez. Free, family fun. Stay into the evening and see the famous beavers!
- September 17: Celebrate the Coast, CA State Parks. Heart's Desire Beach, Tomales Bay. 11AM - 2PM Free and fun!
- September 17: Family Fun Day, Laguna Treatment Plant, Santa Rosa. 11AM - 3PM. Otter presentation at noon by Mary Ellen King!
- September 23: State of Tomales Bay Conference, Inverness Yacht Club, Inverness. 9AM - 5PM.
- October 2: Talons! A festival celebrating birds of prey. Ross Art & Garden Center, Ross. Noon - 3PM.
- October 8: Wildlife Conservation Network, 10AM - 6PM, San Francisco. Tickets on sale on the WCN website August 16. They go fast!
- October 22 and 23: Bioneers 10AM -6PM, San Rafael Civic Center. Tickets on sale through their website.
- October 28 and 29: 2016 Mt. Tam Science Summit. Tickets available through the website link.
- November 11: Green Fridays Conservation Lecture, Robert Aston presenting. 7:30 - 8:30 (doors open at 6:30 for snacks and wine) Sierra Club office, 2530 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley.
March 1, 2015: Welcome Back Otters! Celebration and Fundraiser. 3-6PM, San Francisco Bay Model, Sausalito
Saturday, April 18: River Otter Ecology receives John Muir Association Conservation Award. 2PM
Friday, April 24, 2015: Wild & Scenic Film Festival, Oakland Asian Cultural Center, Oakland. 5PM
Friday, May 8, 2015: Center for Learning in Retirement, River Otters presentation. 1:30PM, San Francisco
Saturday, May 9, 2015: International Migratory Bird Day, Muir Woods National Monument. 10AM - 3PM
Sunday, May 17, 2015: Heritage Days Celebration, Olompali State Park, Novato, CA. 10AM - 4PM
Saturday, August 1, 2015: Martinez Beaver Festival, Martinez, CA. 11A M - 4PM.
Wednesday, August 12, 2015: River Otters, Back on the Bay Area Map! Sponsored by the Napa RCD. Bookmine, Napa. 7PM
Thursday, September 10, 2015: Richardson Bay Audubon Speaker Series, Tiburon, CA. 7:30 -8:30PM
Thursday, September 17, 2015: State of the San Francisco Estuary Conference, Oakland, CA. ROEP ED Megan Isadore will discuss project findings and next steps.
Saturday, September 19, 2015: Celebrate the Coast, Tomales Bay State Park. 11-2PM
Sunday, September 20, 2015: Wine Country Optic and Nature Festival, Sonoma Barracks, Sonoma. 10AM to 4PM Presentation at 1PM!
Sunday, October 4: Discover Mt. Tam, Mill Valley Community Center. 10AM to 4PM.
Saturday, October 10, 2015: Wildlife Conservation Expo, Mission Bay Conference Center, San Francisco, Ca. 10AM - 6PM
Tuesday, November 3, 2015: Give Back Tuesday! Iron Springs Pub & Brewery in Fairfax, CA will donate 10% to our project. Please join us for dinner, drinks and fun, support river otters and......take a night off from cooking!
November 19, 2015: San Francisco Natural History Series presents River Otter Ecology Project guest speaker Robyn Aston on River Otters! 7PM Lake Merritt Rotary Nature Center, Oakland.